The Journey of twenty-two hundred miles begins with just a single step. Lao Tzu (paraphrased) This blog is mainly about my excursion upon the Appalachian Trail. This is a journey that has been 15 years in the planning stage and on March 20, 2022 it will see that plan being executed. Please feel free to leave comments and follow me on the social media of your choosing.

Wednesday, May 18, 2022

And Now For Something Completely Different

 

As some of my readers may have realized by now I am moving a tad slow; in fact at my present rate it’s gonna take me multiple years to complete the trail. 

I’ve known this for about a month now. 

The problem is that when I started this excursion I weighed in at 295 pounds. That's not an excuse but a fact. Then there is the added weight of the pack and my gear. When I first stepped on the trail last march I weigh close to 350. Those people who knock out 20 miles a day probably don’t weigh over 200 pounds with all their gear on them. It makes a big difference. 

I have lost quite a bit of weight since I started. A size 44 pants won't stay on my hips without a belt. A belt I bought in Helen I started using at the second hole from the end and now I’m all the way down to the last hole.  I will need to buy a new belt soon. In my time here in Gatlinburg I’ll have yet to find a working scale, so I’m not sure how much weight I have lost. My shirts are normally 3XL, but I now can wear a large shirt easily except for my broad shoulders. 

Still with all the weight I have lost I will still need to be able to do a 24 mile day with no zero days to finish the Appalachian Trail in the original time frame allotted. I am now working on a contingency plan. 

I will be out until September 1st. At that time I must come off. I will then make my way to Maine, climb the mountain, get the pictures, then come back home so I can make the Enterprise reunion in Las Vegas in September. The plane tickets were bought before I left. Next year I will plan to go back on the trail, walk south from Maine and make the reunion in New Jersey.  Hopefully then I’ll be finished. If not I will try to continue on after the reunion. This walk will be done.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

You have nonetheless, accomplished more than most of the readers who see this, and that is something to be proud of!!!