The Journey of twenty-two hundred miles begins with just a single step. Lao Tzu (paraphrased) This blog is mainly about my excursion upon the Appalachian Trail. This is a journey that has been 15 years in the planning stage and on March 20, 2022 it will see that plan being executed. Please feel free to leave comments and follow me on the social media of your choosing.

Monday, April 18, 2022

Rocky Mountain; thou art a sunny beach.

 Wednesday, March 30. 


It was a warmer night last night.  At around 8 am I  got more water,  repacked, then I crossed the highway and headed up the trail towards Low Gap where the shelter campsite was.  I hiked about a ¼ mile up the trail to where some more campsites were and I realized I needed food.  

I stopped at the camp sites and started to make breakfast when one of the other campers came over and introduced herself as a Trail Ambassador.  She gave me a warning about the bad storms coming in and they were advising all hikers to take cover and leave the trail.  There were winds predicted at 45 mph+ and a possibility of tornadoes.  I thanked her for the warning and she headed on.  Then I realized the stove was acting up like I was out of fuel.  I made my decision to return to Hogpen Gap.

At the trail head there was another couple trying to hitch a ride and I know it’s easier to hitchhike with a woman than a single man, especially one looking as wild as I was getting.  She saw a van with Michigan plates and she went over to talk to them.  It was a pair of trail angels setting up some trail magic.  Gabby, (I found out her trail name later) got us a ride into Helen.  The man who was going to drive us had a trail name of Hopeful and he had served on the USS Midway in the 70’s.  We were joined by Wayward, who was from Charlotte NC.  Hopeful was glad to hitch us a ride into town.  A few decades ago he had hiked the trail and was helped by several trail angels so he was paying it forward.

We headed to the Country Inn that was on the west side of the river.  I ended up with a Queen Suite, the cheapest they had available.  After resting up a bit and showering some of the grime off I headed over to Bigg Daddy’s that was next door.  I ordered the fish and chips.  I thought I wasn’t going to eat it all.  Their portions were like those that were served at the Oyster House in Pine Mountain.

After eating I headed back to the hotel room and enjoyed the wonderful world of postcards filling out. I just lounge around after that until after dark then I strolled over to the post office and mailed the post cards. On the way back I stopped at Dollar General to pick up an item or two then back to the room. Sleep eluded me till after 1 o’clock. 


Thursday March 31

In the morning I met Gabby at breakfast, Wayward came down then Rawhide. 

After breakfast I did my laundry. Sometime between the washer and the dryer a sock was lost. I found it after the dryer stopped. I put it on the hair dryer for a few moments. It’s good. 

I walked into Helen proper with Rawhide and Gabby, we strolled as far as Betty’s Grocery Store. Betty’s didn’t have much in outfitting; it’s more of an IGA grocery store. I did pick up a peach Nehi and some bubble gum. We walked back to the Hotel and ate at Wendy's. I stopped at the hotel and gathered up stuff to mail. Three of us walked to the post office to mail home our over pack. The post office clerk was very helpful with packaging. 

We walked to Dollar General, Gabby and Rawhide got supplies. I found a belt but no fuel canisters. After they came out Rawhide returned to the hotel and Gabby and I went to ACE hardware. They had fuel canisters.  I bought a fuel canister and Gabby met a friend who braved the night at Low Gap shelter; an ex-marine. He said there was one “stolen valor” kid there with an AR -15 and knives strapped to legs; acting really weird. The Marine got pepper spray; that kid worried him.

We walked back to the hotel.  Gabby and I sat outside and talked for the longest time. Our dinner that night consisted of pizza delivery in my room.  The three of us made the decision to jump back on at Unicoi Gap. That’ll be another 13 miles of trail I’ll have to come back and do. 




Friday April 1

We caught a ride with our old friend Hopeful. Gabby had to bug the front desk to find Wayward’s room. He was happy to come. 

While we all were introducing ourselves trail names I finally embraced mine: Enterprise. 

Hopeful had the van today and first he took Wayward back to Hogpen Gap; then he took the rest of us to Unicoi Gap. 

He dropped us off and with the many goodbyes of parting old friends he was gone. 

The wind was nippy. 

I looked up the trail upon Rocky Mtn from Unicoi and already started hating life. 

Rawhide and Gabby sprang up the trail like mountain goats. I was automatically having to do my 4 count 10 steps. Gabby kept holding back to let me catch up but realized I wasn’t being modest when I said I was slow. She headed on. 

At the first stream I caught up with Someday. She was the heavy set girl that I came upon south of Blood Mountain. She was hanging in there. I continued on up and before long I had to stop and rest a while longer. My fleece pants that I tied up on top of my pack had fallen off. Someday had picked them up and was carrying them to me. We both played “tag” by passing each other until Indian Grave Gap. We both stopped and had lunch. I was just snacking and I pulled off a few more layers. Someday cooked and used a ziplock bag in her coozy cup for the cup to heat water on the camp stove to mix her meals. 

Brilliant!

I Can't wait to get to Hiawassee to get ziplock bags to try that out.

While we ate, Someday told me she was from Arkansas.  I believe she’ll make it. I’m sure I’ll see her again on the trail.   

While there a small middle aged Asian woman came. She sat for a few then continued on. I continued on right after her while Someday finished her meal. 

Now it was time to climb Tray Mtn. The trail was again covered with distylium shrubs. Asian Woman and myself played “tag”. We had a 1300 ft + climb within two miles.  Soon we came across USFS 79 and was able to get water from the covet pipe. Further up along the way we came across the site of the old cheese factory. No structure was left; just a clearing. Soon I crested Tray Mtn and started putting distance between myself and the asian woman. I found the cut off to Tray Mtn Shelter and arrived about an hour and a half before sunset. I pitch my gear at a spot in the shelter next to the wall. 

 

I made my dinner and while eating the asian lady came by. She had made it also. 

After I had finished I then went to the water source. It was another tenth of a mile below the shelter and for the life of me I can’t think of what it’s called ( cistern) but there was a concrete covering over the artisan well with a pipe that came out to let the water flow. Near it was a three sided foundation of concrete with metal lining the top. I bet at one time that was the shelter. I gathered water then returned.

Before bedding down a camper was setting up his hammock near the shelter. I almost went over to talk to him about the under quilt he was using but decided that can wait until the morning. I put my food bag on a bear cable then bedded down. I was bedded next to Smokey The Bag. I call him this because he was almost constantly smoking, even in his bag. 

 It got down into the lower 30°’s during the night.


Saturday April 2


When I got up just at dawn to relieve myself I noticed the hammock camper was gone. 

I stayed wrapped up in my bag until about 10:00 when it started to warm up. Smokey The Bag got up and shook about a dozen butt out of his bag. He did pick them all up. I still wondered when he slept. 

I got up and ate a breakfast of oatmeal then I packed. On the trail by 1100; I really need to work on these start times. Before leaving I text Gabby if she would reserve me two nights at the hostel at Dick’s Creek.

It was a slow climb down Tray Mtn to Wolfpen Gap. It was mostly rock gardens. Then the climb down to Steelpen Gap was easier but I had to climb to Young Kick knob which wasn’t too bad except that the inferno pack was starting to kill me. I finally made the Swag Of The Blueridge. It’s a small Gap between Tray Mtn and Dismal Mtn. There is a good covering of trees here but except for the signs and a few campsites that’s it. 

Dismal Mtn was a short climb and the north descent was easy. I came into Sassafras Gap and there were a few other campers there but I decided to push on to Addis Gap on the north side of a ridge that tends to be unnamed. I reached Addis Gap, where Rawhide and Gabby camped the night before. This was at a crossroad with Wild Cat Rd. I set up the hammock and laid in it for a moment to relax my back. Then I got up to fetch water. The water was down Wild Cat Rd about ½ mile. It was beside what used to be the Addis shelter which is marked by a huge fire pit. This was also where the old Addis homestead was. I believe the forest service ment for campers to camp here instead of the crossroad. There seems to be a trend by the forest service in that they want campers to crawl down away from the trail so the first task in the morning is to crawl back out. That has to be a bureaucrat's decision. 

I got my water and got back to the camp. Dinner consisted of ramen noodles and tuna. 

I put the tarp on the ground, the pad on top of that, then I crawled into the sleeping bag liner, then the bag and slept. 


Sunday April 3

I woke up at dawn and it was “b” grade itchin’ cold with a very clipper wind. I had to get up because my bladder was in a pissy mood. After pacificating  my bladder I tended to breakfast but the stove and I got into playing the game of blowout. The stove won and wouldn’t stay lit. I figure I get over the ridge and the wind wouldn’t be so bad. I got the pack and trudged the 800 ft up and over Kelly Knob. At the summit it was calm from the wind but I thought I would push on to Deep Gap Shelter and brunch. At about noon I got to the cut off trail and looked down the trail. There was no shelter to be seen. Another hiker came by and told me that that shelter was only ¼ mile down the trail but the trail descended 100 ft to it. Phooey on that!

I made myself a little picnic right there. Since the wind was still a little much, my lunch was cold. 

Soon I was pushing northward again. 

As I pushed to the top of Powell Mtn I was treated to a bel viale of gnarled mountain laurel and vista of Lake Burton to the east with other blue haze peaks and ridges. I almost didn’t want to leave but I had reservations at Around The Bend Hostel. 

It was a gentle climb down the mountain to Moreland Gap but I had to leave my bel viale of Mountain Laurel behind. 

But as luck would have it as the trail started to follow Dick’s Creek

Soon I reached US 76.  A shuttle driver was there known as Smokey The Bear.  He gave me a Mountain Dew and a snack bag of Cheetos.  I downed the Mountain Dew almost immediately.  Smokey had a load but he made room for me and took me to Hostel Around The Bend.  It would have been a down hill stroll but I was glad for the ride.  Smokey was going to hang to make sure they had room for me.  I talked to one of the proprietors; Lisa and she had my reservations.  Gabby came through for me.


I was given a spot on a trudgen bed in the cabin area with three others.  One was the little asian lady from Trap Mountain. Another was the lady she was hiking with and the third of us was another man.  Generally we slept with our clothes on.


My first order of business was to get a shower.  Then I got a pizza out of the little freezer (cost $6) and baked it.  While waiting for the pizza I started a load of laundry. After eating I checked the weather forecast and there was rain for Tuesday and Wednesday.  Since it was that time of year when these storms can turn violent in a heartbeat, I extended my stay until Thursday.  My bed would be in the V.W. bus for Tuesday and Wednesday. 

I visited for a while with some of the other hikers and then I retired.


I slept well.


AT 69 - 2124 to go.


No comments: