The Journey of twenty-two hundred miles begins with just a single step. Lao Tzu (paraphrased) This blog is mainly about my excursion upon the Appalachian Trail. This is a journey that has been 15 years in the planning stage and on March 20, 2022 it will see that plan being executed. Please feel free to leave comments and follow me on the social media of your choosing.

Tuesday, April 05, 2022

Wild Cat Mountain, Thou Art A Heartless Bitch.

I downloaded the Blogger Plus app to see if it would make my entries easier. I accidentally deleted this post so here I am reconstructing it.  


Saturday March 26 to Monday March 28


I stayed at the Best Western in Blairesville until Monday. During that time I did a shakedown of my pack and mailed the “excess”, did my laundry, ate a lunch of Chicken Fried Steak, green beans, mashed potatoes and gravy, with a salad and Texas toast. After a short nap I ate at a Cuban restaurant. I dined on the Piggy Bowl; pork, red & black beans, and rice. 

The next day I hit a HallMark store only to be told that they had no postcards. They told me the pharmacy next door may have them but the pharmacy was closed on Sunday. I made a mental note to visit that pharmacy on Monday. I then walked the three miles to Walmart. I got one of those accordion pads, a garden trowel and a few other paraphernalia. I tried to get an Uber to take me back but there was never a car available. I don’t think Uber existed in Blairesville, so I hiked back, dropped off the paraphernalia and then ate at the Mexican restaurant next to the Cuban restaurant I dined at the night before. 

Like so many Mexican restaurants, that one also suffered from a lack of cumin. 

Then comes Monday and I remember that I needed to arrange for transportation. Hint: always arrange for transportation a day or two before. I believe I was very blessed when I found a ride at 5 pm. We settled on a pickup at the loco Micky D’s so I checked out then after a quick visit to Brasstown Pharmacy Drugs And Guns to learned that they too had no postcards

 I moved my base of operations to the Mickey D’s dining room; except their dining room was locked. The Burger King’s dining room was open though; they even advertised it on their marquee sign.  I contacted the shuttle about the new pickup location.

I got lunch and then found an obscure corner to make myself inconspicuous and wait. 

My ride showed up at 4:30 pm. 

We made it to Neels Gap before 5 pm 

I walked into the outfitters and looked around. No, I didn’t pass out from sticker shock but it took a great deal of will on my part. 

But they did have postcards! Yay!

I got some cards, and a dry bag. I transferred my food to the bag. Then I headed out. 

It didn’t take me long to make Bulls Gap. There was maybe about a dozen tents already up. 

I found a spot with two cooperative trees near a trio of hikers who were firemen from Florida. They were having problems. The cold and the altitude was getting to them. They had made the decision that om the morn they were going to return to Neel Gap and then home. They were really interested in my setup with the hammock. 

After setting up and exchanging pleasantries they retired. I made ramen noodles with salmon, ate and retired myself. 

I was asleep shortly after dark. 


AT 32 - 2146 to go. 


Tuesday March 29


Cold as a witches tittie last night with the added comfort of a political gale wind without the heat. I’m not really equipped for this level of cold.  I spent a good bit of time awake and debating myself about returning to Neel Gap and reoutfitting myself in the morning. 

Finally the dawn came. I got up and made a breakfast of oatmeal. While I was enjoying that delectable culinary delight I watched the Florida guys pack their gear. My last sight of them was they were heading south down the trail towards Neel Gap. My heart went out to them. 

Soon I was finished with breakfast, packed, and ready to go. I stood on the trail looking southbound myself for a few moments thinking about getting warmer gear but then the Scottish in me took over and I did a smart about face and headed northward. 

First order of business was the 500 ft climb up Levelland Mtn. The pack was giving fits and I soon fell into my four count march of ten until I reached the top. (This hiking method is similar to marching where I’m taking 4 steps before I do a one count. On steep inclines I will do a 10 count then rest and allow my breathing to slow. I have had to do a five count in places. But on a lot of inclines I can get by with a 25 or 30 count.)  Once I reached the summit it was easy going down into Swaim Gap. The ascend to Wolf Laurel Top was fairly easy. There’s a campsite at the top that gives a spectacular view and a hiker I remember from Bulls Gap was setting up camp already. This time of year; that’s a little too exposed for me. I continued on. 

At Baggs Creek Gap I dropped the pack and went in search of water. I was carrying only one bottle with water now since it seems that the water sources are so available. The water was a little downhill from the gap on a side trail. At the water source, an artesian well, I found where someone previously left some turquoise stones shaped like beetles and a ring that was on a keyring. The ring was a stainless steel one. I trust that the person who displaced these items would miss them and return for them. I was overloaded as it was and didn’t need any more “baggage”.  

After a frugal lunch, with not much of an appetite, I redonned the pack and started heading towards Cowlick Mtn. This climb was gentle.

 I found another curious item on the trail. I happened to look down and a bottle of 7-Up caught my eye. This was not a modern plastic bottle but an old glass type 12 oz with a styrofoam label. The label wasn’t faded either. I saw there was liquid inside and so I picked it up. It still had the metal cap on. I twisted the cap and broke the seal. That was another surprise. The carbonation was gone. I took a sniff and the aroma of 7-Up, which I know all too well, greeted me. 

No,  I wasn’t brave enough to take a swig. I poured the liquid out, replace the cap, and place it back beside the trail. Maybe it won’t be too long before someone else comes by and are able to pick it up. 

I continued climbing Cowlick Mtn and at the summit enjoyed the view then descended the 700 feet into Tesnatee Gap. 

Once I reach the gap, that’s a trailhead next to Ga 348 or the Richard B Russell Scenic Hwy, I took a break. Another hiker had just finished her break and started the climb up Wildcat Mtn. I watched her for a few minutes and realized that this climb was gonna be a b-grade itch. Those that cut the trail up Wildcat didn’t believe in switchbacks. This was going to be an over 500 ft ascend within a half a mile.  

Oooo, I’m dying!

I was needing water again and since the water source at Tesnatee would include runoff from the highway I trusted that I could make it to Whitley Shelter with what I had left. No need to stall; I marched on. 

The climb consist of many 5 count steps with myself stopping at any log or rock that would allow a seat just to relieve the pressure from my pack. Took nearly an hour and a half to climb the half mile. There were switchback but only near the top and also just as steep as the trail was without it. All that did was maybe add a tenth of a mile to the distance. Soon I got very near the top and saw there was an area that was surrounded by big rocks; they were taller than me. It would make a perfect camping spot but by now I was out of water. 

The trail got easier here and in a couple of minutes I was at the summit. Beautiful view and again as I was walking through Mountain Laurel. Then I came to the trail intersection for Whitley Gap Shelter. The sign said the shelter was 1.2 miles down this side trail. 

Water was a quarter mile away at Hogpen Gap. 

I continued to Hogpen. 

It was a nice gentle descent. 

Hogpen Gap is another trailhead on Ga 348. Just around the mountain from Tesnatee. 

At the roadside there was a tree next to the little bridge that crossed the bar ditch. I dropped my pack grab two water bottles and followed the blue blazes to water. Where I got my water from I noticed there were quite a few tents set up a little down stream. I thought about bringing my pack down there but it was starting to get dark. I didn’t have enough time. 

I returned to my pack and just using the tarp, pad, and sleeping bag I camped. I nibbled a cracker for my supper and after hunkering down in my pack I slept. 


AT 39 - 2139 to go. 

No comments: