The Journey of twenty-two hundred miles begins with just a single step. Lao Tzu (paraphrased) This blog is mainly about my excursion upon the Appalachian Trail. This is a journey that has been 15 years in the planning stage and on March 20, 2022 it will see that plan being executed. Please feel free to leave comments and follow me on the social media of your choosing.

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Roadtrip 2019: Day 8th, 9th, 10th


Roadtrip 2019: April 7 - Day 8

I woke up with a case of Montezuma's Revenge; actually it was what woke me up.  So after several sit spells on the throne I realize that I was going to need help if I was to get down the road.  After loading up and checking out I stopped at the first convenience store and picked up some Imodium, popped two of them and I was ready to go.

I took US180 eastward along the Texas Fort Trail as it was now signed as.  In Albany I stopped at a donut shop and picked up a sausage, egg, and cheese croissant.  Outside of town I found a small cemetery and ate.  Then I was heading north on US 283 until I got to FM 209 which headed to Woodson.  My first indicator light for fuel had started blinking as I entered Albany but now the second one had decided to synchronize.  Woodson will be a good fuel stop.

Except when I got to Woodson I notice they had a school, a cafe, a taco shack, and several other places of business but none of them sold fuel. R’ut Rho!

I asked one of the locals and they said that the nearest gas station was in Throckmorton; fifteen miles north.  I wasn’t happy.

I started heading north and was glad to see that there was plenty of houses along the route so if I ran out of gas I could probably bum a quart or two to get me to the next station.  I soon arrived into Throckmorton, sweating bullets that the wind was whisking away, and found the lone station.  I was at 274 miles on this tank; I put 5 ¼ gallons in. 

I picked up US 380, heading through more farmland and leaving the prairie behind while heading east.  I soon picked up FM 61.  In a few miles I hit TX67 at Graham and then my next intersection, which was only a block away was US 380 again.  Google maps probably saved me .1 mile with that short cut.  I stopped at the store on the corner for a quick break.

I rode through Jackboro where US 380 shared the road south for a bit with US 281 then we cut from that and headed east into Decatur.  While heading through Decatur a white mustang did a quick lane change and wanted to occupy the same spot I was in.  I evaded quickly and looking around to check out my surroundings for any other danger, (i.e: another asshole) there was one of Decatur Texas finest who was looking at me with a smirk on his face.  He didn’t go after the mustang who was still right in front of me and was going about 10 miles slower than what I was when he performed his jackassery. Mental note: stay away from Decatur Texas.

I soon picked up FM 51 which I rode to Gainesville, and then stopped for a late lunch at a Taco Casa.  Afterwards a quick jaunt on I-35 access brought me to US 82.  There was a QuikTrip at that corner.  I have returned to civilization.

I traveled down US 82 which was a four lane with a median and at times limited access.  In Bonham Tx I stopped for fuel.  The skies were overcast and I was wondering if I would make it to Paris before the rains.  I also made the decision that Tupelo MS will have to wait for another trip.  I’ll keep on US 82 through Texas, ArkansasArkansaw, Mississippi, and in Alabama I’ll pick up Al 22.  The ghost of Elvis that resides at his birthplace will have to wait to be awed by Razorback.  I pushed on.

I made Paris Tx and then it’s Eiffel Tower with a cowboy hat on.  It’s something to check out if one is in the area but not to make a special trip for.  The veteran's memorial gardens was right next to it.  That one was done right.  And it’s worth stopping for.  But while walking and checking out the memorial I decided to push on to Texarkana.  That 90 miles today will be 90 less miles I have to do tomorrow. I suited up for the rain.

I got rained on. And on.  And on.

I stopped a few times to allow the rain to subside but that was taking time.  Soon I was slowing down as to not overspeed my sight and push on.  There was times when I was in second gear and going slow, and then there was times when the wind was blowing me back along the route I had just came, but I pushed on.

I stopped at a convenience store and got some chicken.  The counter girl felt sorry for me and thought I was looking a little poorly so she gave me an extra piece.  My gear bag was getting soaked so I stopped at a truckstop outside of Texarkana and got some rope to tie that blasted trash bag around it.   I found a hotel and booked, then as I was coming into Texarkana I stopped at a Walmart.  I picked up two hair dryers, a small tote to put my gear bag in and a few other whatnots. I loaded up Razorback and headed for the hotel.  While going down the road I realize that the tote idea wasn’t brilliant.  But by this time I was so tired I was getting stupid.  The tote had me sitting too far forward.  But I was going to make the hotel, sleep, and see what other half-cocked ideas I could come up with in the morning.

I made the Hotel, which was a Motel, by 23:00 local.  After checking in and unloading into the room I set the hair dryers to work.  First my boots which were soak, no I didn’t put the booties on in Paris, then I got the gloves.

I layed down and slept, and during bathroom breaks from my slumbers I switch out from the boots to the gloves with the hair dryers.

Roadtrip 2019: April 8 - Day 9

When I awoke in the morning I noticed that I had stupidly not charged my phone the night before.  Well, no time like the present so I fed Waldo 4th it’s breakfast.  While going over the gear and doing an SSS, with is a constantutional, shower, and shave, I got the idea of a laundry bag to go over the gear bag.  I checked and there was a WalMart right across the street from the motel.  I trotted over, grabbed a breakfast at the lobby, and then over to WalMart.  I found a laundry bag there that was water resistance but not waterproof.  It’ll have to do.

I suited up in full rain regalia, even booties, and with Razorback loaded down and Waldo with a full charge I was able to get rolling - at 9:30 local.  Not the optima time but during this trip I have started later.  Leaving the cheap tote as a present to the lucky motel staff I headed eastward.  Texarkana is a lot like the West Point, Lanett area where one can pass from one state to another without realizing it.  Soon, I realized that I was traveling on pure Arkansas roads and enjoying the piney woods again.  US 82 through Arkansas was a nice ride.  I notice that Arkansas routes these national highways around the small towns so one has to take the business route to actually see the town.  I took one such route into Eldorado, AK and ate at a McDonalds after I fueled. So far the skies have been overcast.

I did my second hundred mile stop the Arkansas welcome center on Lake Chicot, which is in the southeastern corner of the state.  Leave it to Arkansas to have a lake shaped like a “C”.  The welcome center was very comfortable with a three level dock on the shore line. After a short rest I was ready to head on.  The skies here were clear and the sun was bright.

I continued on and crossed the Mississippi into - well, Mississippi; at Greenville.  I remember years ago when I worked for Expedite Express we would have to make a pickup and delivery here on the river.  I remember looking at the levies which were about 3 stories high, at lease.  But even though I was recognizing landmarks I couldn’t remember how to get to the terminal where I dropped off and picked up.  O’well, C’est la vie! 

On the outskirts of Greenville the skies started to cloud over again and so soon it started to drizzle.  Then it started to rain hard.  At Itta Bena MS I pulled into a convenience store and parked Razorback under the awning while I went in side.  They had a steam table with fried chicken.  They also had gizzards.  I had to have me an order.  Happily I munched on my gizzards and as soon as I finished I noticed that the station was getting busy so I got on Razorback and pulled to an old abandoned car wash to await the storm passing in one of the bays.  Now the wind was blowing and blowing into the bays.  After a moment or two reflection I decided to run with it.

I headed eastward some more and then outside of Greenwood MS it poured.  I was tired of this rain so I just did what I had done trying to get to Texarkana and just kept going.  My speed was based on my ability to see and so I had to slow down in sport because of the volume coming down.  Then I broke free of the storms!  They were behind me!  But I needed fuel.

I stopped in Europa MS and got fueled up, bladder emptied, and a room booked for a motel in Starkville MS just a few miles more down the road.  The rains had caught up with me by this time and I was riding back in it again.  But where the old US 82 turned off of the four lane going into Starkville I had again gotten through the storm.  I rode the old highway into town and soon found the motel.  About the time I had checked in and unloaded the rain had caught up with me again.  But my boots were dry and so I didn’t have to worry about drying them but no so my gloves.  They got the hair dryer treatment.  I went to the burger king next door to fill my belly and was soon back in the room asleep while being serenaded by the hair dryers. 

Roadtrip 2019: April 9 - Day 10

I was up before 5 am and got my toiletry done.  I walked over and had the motel breakfast and then was packed up, suited up in full rain regalia and headed home.  The rain held off until I passed Columbus Ms.  Soon I crossed the Alabama state line.

The rain was intermittently.  I scheduled my breaks for every 50 miles today and the first was at Reform Al to mainly empty my bladder.  At Tuscaloosa Al the rains slacked.  While passing through I could have sworn I smelt the fires from Dreamland BBQ.  Still too early for lunch - Dang it.

Took another break at Brent Al at a Wendy’s restaurant and convenience store.  What a concept!  The restaurant part was still closed and wouldn’t open until about 11 for lunch about an hour from now.  I headed on and at a CR 10 I took a shortcut to Marysville AL.  Then it was AL 22 and on the home stretch.

While in Clinton Al I stopped at a Wendy’s for lunch, then pushing on through I soon realized that I was lost around Denoise AL. I pulled the GPS out and saw my mistake so I was only a few miles out of the way which was soon corrected.

Gas in Rockford, then through Alexandria City and to Roanoke.  Here I stopped and rested.  In a few I was heading through Rock Mills and then towards Piglet Gorge.  No time to stop and pay my respect I was soon roaring through Texas and then Franklin.  In Corinth, I stopped at that new Dollar General they put up and got some supplies to hold me over for the night.  In another 20 miles I was passing the Moreland town limits signs.

I was home.




No comments: