The Journey of twenty-two hundred miles begins with just a single step. Lao Tzu (paraphrased) This blog is mainly about my excursion upon the Appalachian Trail. This is a journey that has been 15 years in the planning stage and on March 20, 2022 it will see that plan being executed. Please feel free to leave comments and follow me on the social media of your choosing.

Friday, April 05, 2019

Roadtrip 2019: April 4 - Day 5

After I posted that last blog entry I loaded up Razorback and turned it around so I could go straight out of uncles’ garage in the morning.  When I went to entered the house the doors have already been locked for the evening.  

Talk about a subtle hint I had overstayed my welcome!

After knocking on the door for a moment or two I realize that auntie had gone over to the other side of the house and probably couldn’t hear me.  So, I went to the front door to bang.  Here she comes a running to open the door; red faced and embarrassed that she had locked me out.  She had thought that I had already retired to my room.

I said my goodnight and goodbye to my uncle, in case he wasn’t up the the chicken with me and retired for a few hours until it was time to leave.

I was up at O’dark thirty and wondering why to chicken weren’t squallin’ at me to cut off the light when I remember that uncle had no chicken, yet.  Auntie was up and she was wanting to make me some breakfast but since I had a breakfast date in Kerrville I decline.  She must think I’m a hobbit or something, wanting first breakfast and second breakfast.

I looked in on uncle and he was doing his best to keep the wild animals at bay with his snoring so I let him sleep.  I said my goodbyes to auntie and  I was soon roaring down the road to  Kerrville, in the dark.  

I came in in the dark and left in the dark but the idea was to see this beautiful country during the day; c'est la vie!

The good new was it wasn’t raining.  The better news was the fog was light.  The best news was that the deer wasn’t on the highway breakdancing or wanting to play chicken with the passing motorist.  Deer are like squirrels; nature’s speed bumps but only a lot bigger.

I made Kerrville and found the IHOP with about 15 minutes to spare.  The Blue Beast was already there so I pulled in beside it. Only James would brave the early morning hours, and that was because he had to go to work anyway.  Suzanne slept in since she had a busy day in Austin yesterday giving support by showing her solidarity with other retired teachers at the state capital.

The IHOP only had the manager there; who had to substitute as both the server and the cook.  But he got us our breakfast out fast and professional.  

After the breakfast and visit James had to head on to work.  It was still dark so I hit a McDonald’s to drink some more coffee and await the sunrise.  Once the world was lit I headed out towards San Angelo.

I took Town Creek Rd to Harper Rd and stopped at the convenience store at the interstate to check that my google maps for the trips was download.  I was going to be going through areas that actually has no cell phone coverage, (need to look into a satellite phone for extensive travel in areas like this).

Harper Rd was a beautiful ride through this section of the Hill Country.  Soon I came to the junction of US 290 in Harper and briefly debated if I should go by the way of Doss Tx instead of route picked by the GPS but I chose the former route and turn left.

A few mile out of town I turned onto FM 385.  A two lane road that climbed hills and descended into vails, crossing creeks and rivers with bridges that only keep one a foot or two above the water and required a dip in the road to access.

I picked up US377 and rode through London.  So stopped at a small store/cafe and got myself a drink.  I paid for it with a twenty.  The proprietor asked if I may have had anything smaller and but I didn’t.  I notice that I had just about cleaned out her change reserve.  I sat outside and enjoyed my drink and though about the fact that there is no banks in this town nor nearby so I dug through my pannier’s and found enough change to add to what she gave me and be able to exchange it back for that twenty.  She was grateful.

On the north side of London I picked up FM 1773 and again it was back through more of the hill country.  Soon the land flatten out and I knew I was leaving the hill country behind.  

At the junction of US 83 I headed northward and passed through Menard.  North of Menard there was road construction going on and I had to endure a one lane rood behind a semi and eat dust for a little while.

Soon Eden came upon the radar and I stopped at the venison butcher shop that is on the corner of US 83 and US 87.  I splurged and got a 1/4 lbs each of venison, buffalo, and chipotle beef jerky.  I turned off google maps to conserve battery life and let the phone go into dormant mode.  On US 87 it was a clear shot to San Angelo.

I made San Angelo by noon and stopped first at Rosa’s for lunch.  Then it was to mother’s bank to gain access to her account again. After dropping off my luggage at Shelley’s place and shucking a few layers of clothing, it has gotten quite warm, I headed to see mother.

She remember me, somewhat.  But I don’t think she remembered my name.  She can’t understand why she is in a skilled care facility.  She thinks there is nothing wrong with her.  Her COPD has gotten to the point to where she stays on O2 @ 3 lpm.  She has drawn me into her conspiracy to spring her from this place and take her to Georgia where she can get her own place and a job.  Best thing to do is just go along with it.  Soon she’ll forget that conspiracy.  I did try to distract her with showing her photos and explaining what she was looking at.  I could tell that by the way she squinted at the photos she was having a hard time seeing.  But when she is asked about her eyesight she said it’s “fine!”  Everything about her is “fine!”  It’s hard to work with her when she won’t admit there is anything wrong.

After our visit I road around town and refamilarize myself with this city.  I ended up at the library where I got business done then I ate at Dun Bar East restaurant.  You guessed it; one of their killa burgers.

I headed over to the skilled nursing facility to visit mother again and with a small gift bag full of some of the little soaps, shampoos and lotions I had collected at various hotels stays over the last year or so.  I also had Wal-Mart print a selfie of myself that I made in Alexandria LA that mother said she like and had it framed.  She enjoyed my presents.  

After some more visiting, that manly consisted of endless repeated topics of conversation I said my good nights and headed to Shelley’s.


I was soon into bed and sleeping soundly.

No comments: