The Journey of twenty-two hundred miles begins with just a single step. Lao Tzu (paraphrased) This blog is mainly about my excursion upon the Appalachian Trail. This is a journey that has been 15 years in the planning stage and on March 20, 2022 it will see that plan being executed. Please feel free to leave comments and follow me on the social media of your choosing.

Saturday, September 19, 2009

From Cedartown to the Stateline on the Silver Comet Trail.

Well, I finally have gotten around to walking from the Cedartown Depot to the Stateline on the Silver Comet Trail. From the information I had retrieve from the web, I was expecting a distance of 9 miles, but it turned out to be close to 11. Now, that may not seems to be much of a discrepancy and for motorist it's not, nor for maybe a cyclist, but when you're walking that is an extra 40 minutes, one way. And when you're walking against sunlight, it can mean the difference between getting back while it's light or not. I also was expecting to find water at the state line but turns out, there are picnic tables but no water. I then proceeded to the main highway, the trail is within 1/4 of a mile from US 278 and walk eastward along the road looking for a convenience store and didn't come upon one until the 7 mile marker. Well, that's almost back into Cedartown, and since I don't know what lies from the Stateline to the first trailhead in Alabama, at the Eubanks Welcome Center, that could mean a walk from Cedartown to the Eubanks Welcome Center of nearly 24 miles without anyway to get water. That is unless I carry along a water purifier so I can retrieve spring water. I don't need to get Montezuma's revenge while on that trail.
Then when I get back, I discovered that I had left my truck lights on at the depot and the battery was good ‘n’ dead and no one around the depot. So I walked over to the Huddle House about 4 blocks away and ate while I figured out my next, brilliant, move. I figured that the battery had been killed by being drained all day and that I should just go across the street and pick one up from AutoZone and change it out. Well, when I checked out a new battery I was informed that there were about 4 different sizes for my type of truck. And I was standing there not knowing what size I needed. So, I headed back towards the truck with the intentions of finding out what size I needed. Well, about a block over from the depot was a little garage that was open and some Hispanics were in there. I went and asked them if I could get someone to jump my truck off and discovered that their English was about as limited as my Spanish. Well, they handed me a set of jumper cables and a battery they had pulled off a charger and I was to understand that I was to use them myself to jump the truck off. So, I took such said apparatus over and cranked the truck. I took the battery and cables back to the garage and offer to pay them but they wouldn’t take anything. So, I thanked them and left.
I didn’t realize that I had such an honest face that someone that I had trouble communicating with would just allow me to take the that stuff and trust that I’d bring it back.
Or they thought I was that crazy and they would have given me their first born just to leave them alone.
Either way, it was still dark when I left Cedartown and I had planed to swing by and see Mark and Joyce in Rockmart and discuss the merits of Farmville, and why I should be their “neighbor” but it was to late in the evening, night.
Oh, Well, I’ll catch them next time.

No comments: