The Journey of twenty-two hundred miles begins with just a single step. Lao Tzu (paraphrased) This blog is mainly about my excursion upon the Appalachian Trail. This is a journey that has been 15 years in the planning stage and on March 20, 2022 it will see that plan being executed. Please feel free to leave comments and follow me on the social media of your choosing.

Tuesday, June 07, 2022

The Journey Is The Reward. Taoist Proverb



On Friday 5/3 I got to talking to the owner of the Laughing Heart Lodge and Hostel

and basically he was in need of a night manager while his wife goes to Katahdin and do a SOBO.  A salary, a room, and experience of running a hostel; that’s an opportunity that’s too good to pass up.  Plus when I’m done here I’ll be flown to Bangor Maine and do a flip flop.  That will allow me to hike in a cooler climate during the hotter summer month.  


One of the main things I’ll be doing with my salary is getting better (ie: lighter) gear.  Also, as I’m learning, the 100 mile wilderness is a special section where the logistics will be different from what I have experienced so far.  Either I will have to pay major bucks for a food drop in the middle of the wilderness or will have to ration my food very carefully.  I may be able to get by with the rationing since unlike so many others that go through the forest and have depleted their “fat” reserves I’ll still have a bit of mine left.


My blog post until I leave will be a little on the “lean” side.  On my time off I’ll still do day hikes, but those will only be for about two nights once a week.  Then there will be some small hikes in the morning when I have duty.  But still the post will be maybe a week apart.


The good news is that the quality should improve (he thinks he can do quality, sheesh!) since I’ll have access to the computer’s at the library. And then when there ain’t a crowd around me I can whip a small post on the hostel’s computer, like I’m doing now.


Like I said before: The Adventure Continues


No comments: